Understanding Diamond Weights
All of our diamond solitaire jewelry is inspected by the International Gemological Institute (IGI). This includes a complete summation appraisal.
Diamond carat weights are approximate. There isn't another diamond in the world exactly like yours. To help you understand how diamond weight measurements are described, we've included this chart. For example, a full carat is measured in "points" - each carat has 100 points. A 3/4 carat diamond may range from 0.70 to 0.79 points. References to diamond weights on- line are approximate. Please refer to this chart for the size ranges appropriate to each carat weight listing.
|Carat||Carat Weight Range|
|1/10||.09 - .11|
There are 5 characteristics that determine diamond quality, the so called...5Cs.
- CUT...refers both to the shape of the diamond and the arrangement of the facets. A well cut diamond's facets reflect and refract light with sparkling radiance. The most popular shape is the round, a brilliant cut. It is rivaled by the marquise, pear, princess, oval, emerald and heart shapes.
- COLOR...refers to the natural coloration of a diamond. Most diamonds show some trace of color. Colorless diamonds are the most rare, and therefore, the most valuable and sought after.
| K, L, M ||Faint Yellow|
|I, J, H||Near Colorless|
- CLARITY...represents the degree to which a diamond is free of natural internal flaws, called inclusions, which developed when the diamond was created by nature. Most diamonds contain natural inclusions. The fewer the inclusions a diamond has, the more valuable it is.
Our diamonds are rated on clarity and color.
| I1, I2, I3 ||Included ||Precious|
|SI1, SI2, SI3||Slightly Included ||Excellent|
|VS1, VS2||Very Slightly Included ||Superior|
|VVS1, VVS2||Very, Very Slightly Included ||--------- |
- CARAT...is the weight measurement of a diamond. It is often assumed that this is the key factor in determining the value of a diamond, but this is not usually the case. A small diamond of the finest quality can easily be more valuable than a larger diamond of lesser quality.
- CONFIDENCE...is the feeling you get when you purchase your diamond from the Exchange. Our fine jewelry is inspected by a staff of graduate gemologist. We stand behind the quality of our fine jewelry and we give you a certificate that guarantees it.
Most women's rings are available in sizes 4 - 8 1/2, including 1/2 sizes.
Most men's rings are available in sizes 9 - 12 1/2, including 1/2 sizes.
All are shipped from our suppliers and will typically take about 21 days for shipment. However, some specialized rings may take as long as 6 weeks for shipment.
Diamond Guarantee and Trade-Up
Your Diamond Guarantee and Trade-up Registration Certificate allows you to trade up to a larger diamond at any time! Items with a diamond of 0.05 carat or larger come to you with a "Diamond Guarantee and Trade-up Registration Certificate". You may trade your diamond in at any time at any Exchange facility for the full, original purchase price, for a new diamond item with at least a 50% additional value or greater, providing the following conditions are met:
- Diamonds or other gemstones are not damaged or missing from the mounting
- The diamonds are still in the original mounting
- The mounting is not altered
- The certificate, showing price paid and date of purchase, is presented with the item when trade-up is requested
NOTE: Trade-ups are subject to ASER regulations which stipulate that diamond jewelry shipped/purchased in CONUS cannot exceed 1.00 carat per stone; diamond jewelry purchased/shipped overseas cannot exceed 3.00 carats per stone.
Larger diamonds are only available to our customers stationed or on TDY overseas.
To learn more about diamonds and gemstones, please click the Related Links below.