Privacy and Security Policy for Exchange Online (General Terms)
- The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (hereinafter referred to as the Exchange) web site, shopmyexchange.com, is an unofficial Department of Defense (DoD) site, published and maintained by the Exchange with non-appropriated funds. The Exchange operates the Exchange Online Store and facilitates access to Exchange Online Mall shopping web sites on behalf of all the military exchanges.
- For site security and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, the Exchange computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic for identifying unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, and otherwise cause damage. Unauthorized attempts to upload or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under applicable federal law.
- Portions of the Exchange web site are accessible only to authorized patrons and the Exchange is required to ensure that only those with authorization can have access to these portions of the web site. When you log-in your computer will be asked to accept "cookies". These cookies may be temporary or persistent (temporary cookies will expire at the end of your session). We collect e-mail addresses and volunteered information such as surveys and sweepstakes registration information from visitors to our site. Our web site also automatically recognizes your internet service provider. We do not sell or exchange names or any other information about our online customers with third parties. We are committed to ensuring your privacy as a customer and will only use this information to improve your overall shopmyexchange.com, Exchange Online Store, and Exchange Online Mall shopping experience.
- With your permission, we would like to contact you with news about products, services and events. To voluntarily sign up to receive our periodic email newsletter click here. If you change your mind and would like to be removed from the email newsletter list, you can also Unsubscribe on the same page.
- In connection with authorized law enforcement investigations, the Exchange may be required to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are scheduled for destruction in accordance with Exchange internal guidelines.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please click here to Contact the Exchange.
What Personal Information About Customers Does the Exchange Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your shopping experience on the Exchange web sites. Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Provide Us: Aside from the information available through the official DEERS database, we receive and store (in many cases just temporarily) any information you may enter on the Exchange web sites or provide us in other ways electronically. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features/offers online. We may use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future shopping for you, improving our stores, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information:We receive and store certain types of information during some of your online interactions with us. For example, like most Web sites, we use session and/or persistent "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses the Exchange web sites, advertisements and other content served by us or on our behalf on other Web sites.
- E-mail/Marketing Communications:To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you subscribe to our e-mails if your computer supports such capabilities. If you do not want to receive e-mails or other mail from us, please follow the Unsubscribe instructions at the bottom or back of each of those materials.
- Mobile Apps: Using the Store Locator feature on one of our Exchange mobile apps you can always find the nearest Exchange store location(s). Our Exchange mobile app is capable of using your mobile device’s GPS or, if you’d rather, you can enter a city and zip code to immediately locate the nearest Exchange store(s) including directions, store name, store address, store phone number, and number of miles from your designated location. This information is not stored or shared.
What Are Cookies (and What Are Your Options)
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we may transfer to your computer's hard drive in the form of text files through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and in some instances to provide personalized features/offers online. As for the difference between session cookies and persistent cookies:
- Session Cookie: A cookie that is erased when the user closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary memory and is not retained after the browser is closed. Session cookies do not collect information from the user’s computer. They typically will store information in the form of a session identification that does not identify the user. Session cookies are also referred to as transient cookies or temporary cookies.
- Persistent Cookie: A cookie that is stored on a user’s hard drive until it expires (persistent cookies are set with expiration dates) or until the user deletes the cookie. Persistent cookies are used to collect information about the user, such as Web surfing behavior or user preferences for a specific Web site. Persistent cookies are also referred to as permanent cookies or stored cookies.
What Web Analytics Service is Used (and What Are Your Options)?
Due to user privacy concerns, Google Analytics doesn't report on personally identifiable information, including a visitor's IP address (IP address is a unique identifier for a computer or device on a TCP/IP network such as the Internet, an IP address is written as four numbers each separated by periods and each number ranges from 0 to 255 [for example, 192.168.0.1]). Instead, Google Analytics provides aggregated data to help participating web sites make informed business decisions.
What Choices Do You Have?
- As mentioned above, if you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please follow the Unsubscribe instructions at the bottom or back of each of those materials.
- You can add or update certain information (such as in the ‘My Account’ area of the Exchange Online Store).
Does the Exchange Share the Information We Receive?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business. We at the Exchange greatly respect our customers privacy and we do not sell or exchange names or any other information about our customers with third parties.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- Making a purchase from the Exchange Online Store generates an order confirmation e-mail which lists your payment method (such as MILITARY STAR card, Visa, Discover, etc.) but does not list the related credit card number or even a partial set of its digits. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your username, password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
Which Information Can I Access?
We offer you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with the Exchange Online for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information (such as inside the ‘My Account’ area of the Exchange Online Store).
Are Children Allowed to Use the Exchange web sites?
The Exchange does sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may use the Exchange web sites only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
MILITARY STAR Card Privacy Notice
For MILITARY STAR Card Privacy Notice, please click here.
Privacy Act Statement (Authority, Principal Purpose[s], Routine Use[s], & Disclosure)
AUTHORITY: 10 U.S.C. 3013, Secretary of the Army; 10 U.S.C. 8013, Secretary of the Air Force; Army Regulation 60-20, Army and Air Force Exchange Service Operating Policies; and E.O. 9397 (SSN).
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE(S): To locate order information to reply to customer inquiries, complaints; to create labels for shipment to proper location; to refund customer remittances or to collect monies due; to provide claim and postal authorities with confirmation/ certification of shipment for customer claims for damage or lost shipments.
ROUTINE USES: In addition to those disclosures generally permitted under 5 U.S.C. 552a(b) of the Privacy Act, these records or information contained therein may specifically be disclosed outside the DoD as a routine use pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552a(b)(3) as follows:
The ‘Blanket Routine Uses’ set forth at the beginning of the Army's compilation of systems of records notices apply to this system.
DISCLOSURE: Voluntary. However, failure to provide all the requested information may result in denial of access to the Exchange web sites and failure to respond to inquiries.